Saturday, June 11, 2011

Week Two: Chorizo!!!!!

It's as though this week's CSA delivery was designed specifically for me.  In addition to some of my favorite foods, I also received some items I have never used but am excited to try. I haven't decided how I will use all of items yet, but here are some ideas to get you started.

What I received:
-1 lb Berkshire chorizo sausage
-2 lbs spelt berries
-1 lb fresh whole wheat linguini
-1 bunch garlic scapes
-2 heads leaf lettuce
-1 quart Honeyoye strawberries
-2 lbs hoop house tomatoes
-1 dz eggs
-2 bunches field spinach
-1 bunch of green onions
-1 lb chicken bratwurst
-2 large zucchini

I love, love, love chorizo.  In fact, it is almost considered a staple in my house.  This spicy fresh Mexican sausage adds wonderful flavor to a number of dishes, and a little can go a long way.  On tonight's menu: Zucchini Mushroom Tacos with Chorizo, from Rick Bayless' Mexican Everyday.  It only calls for 4 oz of chorizo, leaving me just enough left over to make what is arguably my family's favorite meal,  Mexican beans with Chorizo and Greens (from the same cookbook) later this week.  Can you tell we're fans of Mexican food? If your not a fan of Mexican, try using the chorizo in place of italian sausage on top of a homemade pizza, layered into a lasagna, or added to a chili or stew.  I could go on and on with ideas.  Did I mention I love chorizo?

We eat a lot of spinach in this house, but this spinach is different than the spinach you buy at the grocery store.  It is a braising type spinach, so I am going to try cooking it in a style similar to collard greens and serve it as a side to the chicken bratwurst.  I am also going to try making a tomato "relish" as a topping for the brats.

The most intriguing item in this week's delivery is the garlic scapes.  According to the Fresh Fork newsletter, a garlic scape can be used much like garlic or onion.  It also suggests grilling them, which is what I am leaning towards trying this week, maybe with a flank steak and roasted potatoes.  Spelt berries are another unfamiliar food to me, but I am guessing it is similar to other whole grains such as barley, farro, or wheat berries.  I am going to work on a recipe for some sort of spelt berry salad with chicken and apricots and will share the results. 

Ohhhh, and the strawberries (which look beautiful) are tonight's dessert, drizzled with a balsamic syrup.  To make a balsamic reduction, simply bring a cup of balsamic vinegar to boil in a small saucepan and reduce it until it is thick and coats a spoon.  Depending on the quality of your vinegar, you may want to add a bit of sugar to it first.  Serve the strawberries and syrup on vanilla ice cream to make it even better.  YUM.




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment