Wednesday, June 4, 2014

This post needs to be quick as I'm dealing with a tired and cranky and sick little girl today who will just not allow me to put her down. She was also up at 1:45 this morning and will not go back to sleep.

If you missed yesterday's post, here is a quick snapshot of what I'm working with this week:




















Most of these are pretty simple. I would guess the trickiest ingredients for most people are the pea shoots and the rhubarb. Pea shoots have a mild pea flavor and are comprised of leaves and tendrils. I've only used them a handful of times, typically in salads or added to a stir-fry. They would also be a fantastic garnish for any dish that included fresh peas (like this pasta dish or soup) I'm leaning toward a salad this week, similar to this one Green Goddess Detox Salad from Pinch of Yum. As for the rhubarb, Paul has already told me NOT to even think about making a pie with it. Which is absolutely fine since I don't have the greatest track record with pastry dough (read: it usually gets thrown out in favor of a store bought crust). I have a couple of scone recipes saved to pinterest and I have pretty much everything on hand to make this Vanilla Bean Rhubarb-Ginger scone recipe. I may even try making them with some of the wheat flour I'll be getting. Or, since I got a fancy new automatic canning system for my birthday, I may give a shot at some strawberry rhubarb jam. These Rhubarb Custard Bars look pretty awesome, too, as does this French toast recipe. I have actually never made anything with rhubarb before, so it could be fun to experiment!

My tentative plan for the rest of the ingredients:

-Stromboli with the sausage links and spinach or kale (make pizza crust using some of the wheat flour)

-Black bean tacos or quesadillas

-Either Roast the chicken in the oven or put it on our electric smoker whole (be sure to save the bones for stock!) and serve it with cornbread

-A quiche or soft scrambled eggs (please, for the love of God, do not overcook your eggs! Low and slow while constantly stirring yields the most delicious scrambled eggs!) with spinach or kale and some fresh chives from my garden

-The broccoli with a stir-fry or my kids' favorite sweet & sour chicken inspired by this recipe here

My add-ons for the week were just some milk and fresh pasta for a quick easy meal since we are crazy busy through the weekend and won't be home much to cook.

And now I hear the little one up way too soon from her nap. I didn't get a chance to double check all of the links, but I wanted to get this published for those of you picking up a Fresh Fork order today. Till next time.



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment