Friday, June 22, 2012

Week 3 Meal Plan; What to do with Beet Greens

As promised, here is my meal plan for the week:

Thursday - Chicken, Spinach & Artichoke Calzones (Recipe to come!)
Friday - Pizza & Salad
Saturday - Grilled Pork Chops & Veggie Skewers
Sunday - Summer Pea, Watermelon & Spelt Berry Salad (Cooking Light)
Monday - Skillet Baked Eggs with Spinach, Yogurt & Chili Oil; Toast (Bon Appetit)
Tuesday - Summer Rolls (Williams-Sonoma); Stir-Fried Snow Peas & Bok Choy
Wednesday - Leftovers

Beet Greens.  These seem to be an anomaly to most people.  Sure, we can figure out what to do with the actual beet, but what about the leafy green tops?  Simply, you can treat them just as you do any other green.  To me, they look a bit like swiss chard, and they have an earthy taste similar to kale.  I plan to add mine to the spinach when I make skillet baked eggs on Monday.  Last summer I created a beet relish using the roots and greens that could be served as a side or as a topping on hamburgers.  I also searched and found the below recipes you might want to try:

Pasta with Beet Greens, Blue Cheese, & Hazelnuts (Martha Stewart)
Beet Green Chopped Salad (Sprouted Kitchen) - This looks GORGEOUS!
Sauteed Beet Greens with Garlic & Olive Oil (NY Times)

I made the beet cookies from Weelicious yesterday afternoon and the kids are gobbling them up!  Not too sweet with a texture similar to shortbread.  I prefer mine a little crisp, so I cook them a bit longer. Tip: to grate my beets I put them through the shredding attachment on my food processor, then change to the regular blade and pulse a few times.  Takes just a minute and saves my hands from looking like I just murdered someone. I think the color of these cookies is just amazing!






Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment