Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Week 4: Bag Contents & Meal Plan

I have to admit, part of me breathed a sigh of relief when I read what to expect in this week's CSA bag.  A lot less leafy greens, finally some fruit, and tons of great veggies for quick and easy meals requiring little to no cooking during what promises to be a very hot week.



Small bag contents:
-1 quart of yogurt
-1 pt of black raspberries
-6 ct peaches
-1 package Italian Sausage links, 1.25 lbs
-2 ct zucchini
-1 bunch radishes
-1 head green leaf lettuce
-1 bunch kale

Large bag additions:
-1 head kohlrabi
-1 red bulb onion
-1.5 lbs hoophouse tomatoes
-2 ct cucumbers
-1 head broccoli
-1 jar strawberry basalmic sauce

For those followers who are new subscribers to Fresh Fork, this yogurt will not be like any yogurt you buy from the store.  As Trevor describes in the newsletter, it is VERY runny.  There are no thickeners, no stabilizers, just cultured milk.  It's an excellent, high-quality yogurt, but I do not like to eat it as I would typical yogurt (mixed with fruit and a drizzle of honey).  It is, however, a perfect yogurt for making my favorite muesli recipe (I'll use my raspberries & peaches in this!), or to use in smoothies or smoothie popsicles.  I also may try baking with it as the people of Fresh Fork suggest, possibly substituting it for buttermilk in my favorite Sunday morning pancakes or whole wheat oat muffins.

Our city's annual four-day Independence Day celebration starts this weekend, and I'm sure we'll indulge in some carnival food while joining in the festivities in the evening (yes, I do enjoy the occasional onion ring or funnel cake!), so I tried to keep my meal plan simple and flexible.

Thursday - Out of town
Friday - Blackbean & Veggie Quesadillas
Saturday - California Sandwiches
Sunday - Sausage Risotto with Kale (modified from the cooking light recipe) OR Grilled Sausages with Kale Chips; Zucchini Chile Cheddar Mash
Monday - B.L.T.s; Kohlrabi Slaw
Tuesday - Broccoli Quiche with Brown Rice Crust; Tomato & cucumber salad
Wednesday - Happy Independence Day!  Smoked Beef Brisket, Corn, Sliced Tomatoes, Berry Trifle

Other recipe suggestions:
Deep Dish Tomato & Zucchini Pizza
Spicy Kale-Stuffed Shells
Sweet & Spicy Cucumber Slices







Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment