Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Week 6: Bag Contents & Meal Plan; Chicken, Spinach & Artichoke Calzones

I have to admit that I'm pretty proud of myself at this point.  I have actually managed to use all my CSA items without letting anything go bad.  As proof, here is a picture of my refrigerator as of today before picking up our CSA package:


Surprisingly, I didn't even need to use any of today's delivery for tonight's dinner.  I had exactly one tomato, some bacon and lettuce, and a few eggs left in the house, perfect for making BLTE sandwiches. But besides those items and some basic staples (and yes, that's three jars of pickles on the lower left shelf), I think the only thing left in my house was the pork shoulder from last week's pick up that still sits in the freezer.

I love the variety of items we're getting this time of year, and this week is no different. Favorite items from last week include the peaches and apricots, so I'm happy to see them again, and I'm really excited to try the garlic scape, spinach and ricotta whole wheat ravioli from Ohio City Pasta.



Small bag contents:
-1 whole chicken
-1 pint blueberries
-1 head leaf lettuce
-2 ct cucumbers
-3 zucchini
-1 head cabbage
-3 tomatoes
-1 lb apricots (looks like way more than a pound!)
-1 bunch beets

Large bag additions:
-2 lbs peaches
-1 bunch green onions
-1 lb green beans
-1 package of ravioli
-1 bunch swiss chard

Now that a lot of fruits and veggies are coming into season, I hope to do some canning and preserving this week.  Since I'm pretty sure Steven and I will eat the peaches for breakfast and snacks no problem, I may swing by a farmer's market and pick up a basket or two to turn into jam.  My garden is giving more banana peppers than I could possibly use right now, and I know zucchini and squash are just around the corner, so I'm going to give pickling a try for the first time. 

My meal plan for the week:
Thursday:  Chard & Apricot Pizza
Friday: Out
Saturday:  Ravioli; Beet Green Chopped Salad (Sprouted Kitchen
Sunday:  Smoked Chicken, Coleslaw, Green Beans
Monday: Tomato Pie, Herby Cucumber Salad (Cooking Light)
Tuesday: Chicken & Black Bean Burritos with Guacamole
Wednesday:  Leftovers

I'm not following many recipes this week.  I have some homemade pizza dough in the freezer and thought the chard and apricots could pair nicely with some cheese for a simple pizza (we shall see).  I plan to serve the ravioli with just some olive oil and herbs, and I have an idea for a tomato pie with a brown rice crust that combines a couple of recipes.  Any leftover greens will get thrown into the burritos or may be served with eggs on leftover night.

Other recipes using this week's items that you may like:
Tomato-Zucchini Bake (Health)
Perfect Roast Chicken (Ina Garten)
Roasted Apricots with Mascarpone, Honey & Mint (Joy the Baker)
Potato-Beet Gnocchi (Cooking Light)
Stuffed Cabbage (Martha Stewart)
Grilled Chicken Salad with Feta, Fresh Corn, & Blueberries (Pioneer Woman)

A few weeks ago I was trying to think of a good meal to take to a friend that recently had surgery, but was looking for something kid friendly that wasn't the standard casserole.  I ran across an old recipe from Cooking Light for a Chicken & Artichoke Calzone, but I wanted to change it up just a bit by using homemade pizza dough and items I already had on hand.  Served with a simple crushed tomato sauce, my kids absolutely loved it, and they were so easy to make!  For my fellow Fresh Fork subscribers, this would be a perfect use for leftover chicken and you could easily substitute your swiss chard for the spinach.





Chicken, Spinach & Artichoke Calzones
Adapted from Cooking Light
Makes about 8 Calzones

-3 cups shredded chicken
-2 (14 oz) cans artichoke hearts, drained and chopped (frozen or even marinated would work just fine)
-4 cups chopped fresh spinach
-3/4 teaspoon salt
-1/4 teaspoon black pepper
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (try smoked mozzarella or pepper jack!)
-1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
-1 double batch of Really Easy Pizza Dough from Smitten Kitchen*(or use dough recipe of your choice)

Preheat pizza stone or baking sheet in a  425 degrees. 

Combine chicken, artichokes, spinach, salt, pepper, and garlic in a large bowl.  Stir in cheese. 

Divide pizza dough in half; on a floured surface roll one half into a circle or square and cut into fourths. Repeat with remaining dough.  Divide chicken mixture between your rolled dough pieces; fold dough over the chicken mixture to form a pocket and press edges to seal. Trim excess dough if needed. Place 4 calzones on pizza stone and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, or until browned and crisp. Remove from oven and let stand 5 minutes.  Repeat with remaining calzones.  Serve with marinara sauce for dipping. 

*I like this dough recipe from Smitten Kitchen because it is easy as promised, and it stretches easily without breaking, making it perfect for calzones. 



Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment