Sunday, July 29, 2012

Week 8: Bag Contents & Meal Plan

Yes, this post is late.  Really, really late.  It was an unusually busy week where I barely saw my husband, then both kids ended up sick on different days.  I actually did make a meal plan, but between sick kids only wanting crackers and applesauce and a husband gone two nights, I didn't really cook many meals.  Rest assured, however, we are still managing to make it through our CSA items due in part to my four-year-old's current obsession with the show Lazytown and it's hero, Sportacus.  Sportacus eats what he calls sports candy (i.e. fruits and veggies) to give him energy; therefore, Steven only wants sports candy for snacks.  Seriously.  I offered to take him for ice cream the other day and he declined in favor of cucumber slices and green pepper sticks.  I shouldn't complain, but at six months pregnant, sports candy just isn't going to cut it when a craving for coconut dark chocolate chunk arises. 

Small bag contents:
-1 pint blueberries
-6 ears sweet corn
-3 lbs yukon gold potatoes
-1 bunch rainbow swiss chard
-1 bunch collard greens
-2 cucumbers
-1.5 lbs heirloom tomatoes
-1 package chicken bratwursts
-1 lb yellow wax beans
-2 green peppers

Large bag additions:
-1 cantaloupe
-1 package pork spare ribs
-1 jar Pope's BBQ sauce 

My favorite item this week is definitely the heirloom tomatoes.  If there is one thing I honestly never get sick of, it is fresh summer tomatoes.  And I think of love them most in the most simple preparation; sliced and sprinkled with salt and pepper.  Maybe a drizzle of olive oil, but it's not necessary.  My lunch today consisted of slices of crusty whole grain bread, a smear of mayo, and thick slices of heirloom tomatoes perched on top.  (I should mention here that I used to HATE mayonnaise. Really hate it.  I've discovered over the past few years, however, that mayo is the perfect companion to fresh tomatoes.  It just reinforces my belief that you should always try, try again!)

My lunch today...YUM!

My meal plan for week 8:

Thursday:  Take out

Friday:  Baked sweet potatoes, sliced cucumbers & bell peppers

Saturday:  Out

Sunday:  BBQ Ribs, collards & chard, corn on the cob

Monday:  Chicken brats, sauteed wax beans, roasted potatoes & onions

Tuesday:  Egg salad on toast, cantaloupe

Wednesday:  Cowboy beans (Rick Bayless), cucumber and mango salad (Martha Stewart)

With corn in season, I've run across a few recipes to try just in case you somehow get tired of eating it straight off the cob:

Tomato Stack with Corn & Avocado (Cooking Light)
Bacon & Corn Griddle Cakes (Recipe Girl) *Family Favorite!
Sweet Corn-Blueberry Buttermilk Ice Cream (Noble Pig)
Garlicky Summer Squash and Fresh Corn (Carzy Cook)
Chicken & Corn Soup with Chile-Mint Salsa (Bon Appetit)
Grilled Corn & Cheddar Quinoa (How Sweet It Is)
Sauteed Corn with Lime & Manchego

Only a couple more days until my next pick-up.  I'll try not to be late again!





Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment