Thursday, July 19, 2012

Week 7: Bag Items & Menu Plan; Recipe for Tomato Pie

Since the deliveries the past few weeks have been on the large size, it was almost a relief to see a slightly smaller package with some staples thrown in to give me a break from cooking and preserving.  I feel like I can actually take a night or two off without worrying something will go bad!



Small bag contents:
-1 dozen pasture raised chicken eggs
-1 piece Havarti from Mayfield Road Creamery (8 oz)
-3 yellow squash
-1 bunch carrots
-1 lb whole wheat linguine
-6 ears sweet corn
-1 lb green beans
-1 bulb onion
-1 lb apricots

Large bag additions:
-2 lbs peaches
-Approx 1.5 lbs tomatoes
-1 pint mixed color cherry tomatoes
-1 pint blueberries

I actually had been hoping for cheese this week.  One of our favorite family "dinners" is what we call appetizer dinner.  I just set out a sliced baguette, a cheese or two, maybe some prosciutto or salami, and then some assorted toppings for the bread, such as chutney and tomato bruschetta.  It's a perfect meal to enjoy outside after a busy Saturday afternoon.  Click here for 7 summer bread toppings from Bon Appetit for more ideas.

My meal plan:

Thursday - Farmer's Market Omelets

Friday - Chicken & Corn Tostada Salad

Saturday - Appetizer Dinner

Sunday - Whole Wheat Linguine with Cherry Tomatoes

Monday - Mexican Baked Eggs

Tuesday - Squash & Mushroom Tacos

Wednesday - Leftovers

Last week I somehow ended up with three bags of apricots.  I'm pretty sure it was a mistake, but I'm not complaining!  I took the opportunity to make some apricot jam, and, as I mentioned in my last post, I picked up some bruised peaches for a deal at a local farmer's stand and made some peach preserves as well.  If I keep this up, I won't need to buy jam for the entire winter.

A recipe that has been in our regular summer meal rotation for years is a Fresh Tomato Tart recipe from Midwest Living.  Although we love it as is, my husband's one complaint is that he could eat the whole tart himself.  I recently ran across a few quiche recipes from Kevin at Closet Cooking that used a brown rice crust and thought combining this crust with the tomato and cheese topping may result in a more filling and satisfying meal (not to mention the fact that I didn't have to deal with making pastry!).  I am happy to report that I was right, and while I'll continue to make the original tomato tart recipe from time to time, this brown rice version will be our new norm.






Tomato Pie
Adapted from Midwest Living & Closet Cooking
Serves 4

-1 to 2 tomatoes, depending on size, thickly sliced
-Salt
-2 cups cooked brown rice
-1/4 cup finely grated mozzarella cheese
-1 egg

-3/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves
-4 cloves garlic
-1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
-1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
-2/3 cup mayonnaise
-1/8 teaspoon fresh ground pepper

 

Place tomato slices in a single layer on paper towels, sprinkle with salt, and allow to drain for 30 minutes to 1 hour at room temperature.

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.  Prepare pie pan with butter or spray with cooking spray.  Combine rice, grated mozzarella and egg in a medium bowl; press mixture into bottom of pie pan.  Bake for 10 minutes, or until rice crust starts to turn golden. Remove from oven, set aside, and lower oven temperature to 375 degrees

In a mini food processor or chopper, combine garlic cloves and basil and pulse until combined (Or you can chop by hand).  Combine garlic mixture, parmesan and mozzarella cheeses, mayo, and pepper and mix well.   Place the tomato slices over the rice crust in a single layer; spread mayo & cheese mixture evenly over the top of the tomatoes.  Bake in a 375 degree oven for 20-25 minutes, until top is golden brown.  Remove from oven and let rest for 5 minutes before slicing.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment