Monday, July 4, 2011

Week 5: The Phenomenon Known as "Pine Mouth"

I never intended to let so many days pass between my last post and this one, but I have been dealing with a strange affliction referred to on the internet as "Pine Mouth," and it causes everything I eat to taste bitter and metallic.  Let me start at the beginning.  On Thursday afternoon I sat down to eat some soup for lunch and was surprised to find it left an odd taste in my mouth that lingered throughout the afternoon.  In fact, the taste grew stronger every time I ate or drank anything, and especially when I ate sweet foods.  I of course Googled "soapy or bitter taste in mouth," and was told it was one of three things:  flouride poisoning (uh, doubtful), a reaction to medication (not taking any), or pregnancy (this one sent me immediately to the drugstore in a panic.  Results negative, crisis averted!).  The next morning I sat down to a breakfast of eggs and toast and the taste immediately returned.  I spent the time during my son's swim lesson searching the web again and came across a blog entry mentioning pine nuts and a reaction many were calling "pine mouth".  Hmmm, I did make pesto using pine nuts on Tuesday, so I clicked on the link and there was my answer!  Numerous people were describing the very same symptoms from which I had been suffering within a couple days of eating pine nuts.  I called my husband to tell him I had solved the mystery and learned that he had suddenly been struck with the pine mouth as well!  Symptoms can last anywhere from days to weeks, and no one is quite sure what causes it. Google "pine mouth" and you will find numerous articles speculating why or how it occurs, from whether it's related to the country from which the nuts are imported, to a possible fungus that grows on the nuts themselves.  Either way, for someone who really enjoys food it has been nothing short of torture.  I certainly couldn't taste a recipe and tell you if it was any good or not, let alone try to create a whole new one.  Yesterday I noticed it was markedly better and I could mostly enjoy my dinner of grass-fed beef burgers with caramelized onions, tomato & cucumber salad (sliced tomato, cucumber, red onion and basil splashed with vinegar and olive oil, salt & pepper), chocolate sorbet with cherry compote, and lemon-gin sparkling cocktails.  Today I feel almost back to normal with just a slight lingering bitter taste at the end of a meal. 

Now that my tastebuds are returning, I finally devised my meal plan for the next few days:

Monday: Smoked pork spareribs, Vegetable coleslaw,  and baked beans

Tuesday: Chicken & Beet Lettuce Wrap, Kale Caesar Slaw

Wednesday:  Mexican Beans with Chorizo and Greens

Thursday:  Grilled Squash & Zucchini Pizza

The Chicken & Beet Lettuce Wrap will be an experiment.  If it works, I'll share the recipe later this week.  And yes, I did eat the Brie despite the pine mouth.  And yes, it was still (mostly) delicious.  So far, so good in regards to Jack's reaction to dairy being added back into my diet, hence the pizza on the menu for Thursday night.  So, will I ever eat pine nuts again?  I'm not quite sure.  While I do enjoy them, I'm not sure I enjoy them enough to risk the dreaded pine mouth again.  I just may have to start using walnuts in my pesto instead. Pin It

1 comment:

  1. I had pine mouth last summer!!! I've been scared off pine nuts for the most part and use walnuts instead. CRAZY!!! I eat pine nuts on salads at restaurants (high volume turnover) but haven't bought any for myself in over a year. It's a taste I do NOT want to experience again!!!

    ReplyDelete