Sunday, July 17, 2011

Week 7: Smoked Chicken Enchiladas

Yes, it's been almost a week since my last post.  I'm not going to make any excuses, I'm just going to jump right into it.  We picked up our CSA package on Friday and here is what we received:

-1 whole chicken
-1 pint blueberries
-1.5 lbs cling peaches
-1.5 lbs slicing tomatoes
-1 head leaf lettuce
-1 bunch of cilantro
-2 zucchini
-2 squash
-1 lb green beans
-1 bunch kale
-1 bunch carrots with tops
-1 bunch spinach
-1 head broccoli
-1 candy onion
-1 pint black raspberries
-8 oz cream cheese

After getting the cilantro I had expected the week before, I decided to make the grilled shrimp pizza I planned for last week on Friday night.  Yesterday I put two whole chickens rubbed with salt, pepper, paprika, and garlic powder on our electric smoker and left them for about 7 hours. Smoking the chicken not only imparts great flavor to the meat, but it ensures that the meat stays tender.  We purchased our electric smoker at Home Depot a few years ago for about $50, but prior to that we had great results smoking meat using our charcoal grill. Part of the chicken was last night's dinner, served with green beans, sauteed mustard greens (My first time trying these. VERY strong flavor. I think in the future I would mix them with other greens rather than eating them alone), and potato salad. Tonight I used some of the leftovers to make Chicken & Spinach Enchiladas.  The last time I made Red Chile Chicken Enchiladas from Rick Bayless's Mexican Everyday cookbook, I doubled the sauce and froze half.  Using part of the smoked chicken and adding some blanched, chopped spinach to the chicken filling, this dish came together quickly with minimal clean-up.  Just the way I like it!

Red Chile and Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless

-3 tablespoons of pure ancho chili powder
-2 garlic cloves, peeled and quartered

-1 28 oz can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (I use Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes)
-1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
-1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
-1 tablespoon olive oil, plus a little extra for softening the tortillas
-2 cups chicken broth
-12 corn tortillas

-salt
-1/2 teaspoon sugar
-2 to 3 cups of shredded cooked chicken
-1 cup of shredded mexican melting cheese (quesadilla, chihuahua, asadero) or monterey jack, brick or cheddar

-cilantro and/or white onion for a garnish

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

In a blender, combine the chili powder, garlic, tomatoes with their juice, cumin, and black pepper and blend until smooth. In a saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil and then add the sauce. Cook for about 7 minutes until the sauce is reduced to the consistency of tomato paste. Stir in the broth and turn the heat to medium-low and let simmer for 10 minutes.

While the sauce is simmering, lay the tortillas on a baking sheet and spray or lightly brush on both sides with oil, then stack them in twos. heat them in the oven just long enough to make them soft and pliable, about 3 minutes. Remove from oven, stack them up in a pile and cover with a kitchen towel to keep warm.

Taste the sauce and season with salt, usually about 1 1/2 teaspoons, and the sugar.  Stir in additional broth if the sauce has thickened beyond the consistency of light cream soup.

Spread 1/2 cup of sauce over the bottom of a 13x9 inch baking dish.  Stir another 1/2 to 1 cup of sauce into the chicken.  Lay out a warm tortilla, top with some of the chicken and roll.  Lay seem side down in the baking dish.  Repeat with remaining tortillas.  Ladle remaining sauce over the enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese.

Bake for 10-15 minutes until the cheese is starting to brown.  Sprinkle with the onion rings and cilantro.

Note:  I like to add some cheese to the enchilada filling as well.  Tonight I used a shredded mexican blend inside the enchiladas, then sprinkled queso fresco on the top.

I still have plenty of chicken leftover to use in sandwiches and on top of salads as well.  The stars of this week's CSA package are the peaches. These peaches are small and fuzzy, but amazingly sweet and juicy.  Steven and Jack love them, and this morning I sliced a few and served them over waffles with some fresh whipped cream.  I have been searching for ideas on how to use the carrot tops, and came across the World Carrot Museum website that has quite a few recipes, including a carrot top scramble with eggs.  I plan to try it one morning this week, or I may work the greens into the veggie frittata I plan on making during this week's meal plan.  With temperatures in the 90's all week, I kept the menu light and simple:

Monday:  Tomato, Fresh Mozzarella, & Basil Panini, Carrot Sticks & Hummus

Tuesday:  Farmer's Market Frittata, Toast with Cream Cheese

Wednesday:  Grilled Chicken & Kale Cobb Salad

Thursday:  Vegetable Pasta

Of course, you know I'll end up changing things at least a little bit along the way...

Look for a post again either tomorrow night or Tuesday morning as I plan to share my mom's potato salad recipe (just for you Ashley and Greg!), and a few of my pantry staples that allow me to get a meal on the table even when I don't have time to get to the grocery store. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment