Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Week 8: Pork Chops & Apple Sauce, Corn & Blueberry Salad

I couldn't resist titling this one "pork chops & applesauce."  Every time I say the phrase I want it to sound like Peter Brady from the Brady Bunch.  In fact, that is about my knowledge on the subject.  I certainly don't recall ever eating pork chops and applesauce together as a kid, but I have seen numerous recipes combining pork and apples.  And since I received both pork chops and cooking apples in this week's CSA bag, I thought I go ahead and serve them up together.  The pork chops we received are from a heritage breed of hog called Berkshire.  According to the people at Fresh Fork Market, this is an older breed that isn't traditionally raised for meat anymore, and it is known for its dark skin, dark meat, and intramuscular marbling (a polite term for fat).  These pork chops certainly looked fattier than the ones I'm used to, and it made for some fun entertainment watching my husband try to trim every last bit of fat out of the meat as he ate it.  However, the fat also ensured that the flavorful thick chops didn't dry out as I sauteed them in some olive oil with a generous sprinkle of salt and pepper.  My husband is not the biggest fan of pork (unless it is the form of bacon or sausage), but even he seemed to enjoy his Berkshire chop after he dissected it.  Alongside the pork chops I served the Apple Chutney recipe provided by Fresh Fork, but modified it to suit my family's taste.  The original recipe called for an entire cup of packed brown sugar, which would have been entirely too sweet for me.  Next time I may up the spice factor more by adding a bit more cayenne or maybe by adding some finely diced chili pepper.  Either way, this sweet and spicy chutney was a surprisingly nice compliment to the pork.  Leftovers served on grilled baguette slices the next day were even better.

Apple Chutney

-1/2 cup unpacked brown sugar
-3/4 cup white vinegar
-2 garlic cloves, minced
-1/8-1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, depending on your taste
-1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
-1.5 lbs apples, peeled, cored and chopped
-1 cup diced plum tomatoes
-1 tablespoon fresh mint

Combine sugar and vinegar in a medium saucepan over medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Add garlic, cayenne, and cinnamon; simmer and reduce to 1/2 cup.  Mix in apples, increase heat and boil until apples are tender, stirring frequently.  Remove from heat.  Mix in tomatoes and cool.  Stir in mint.  Serve with Pork, baguette slices, or cheese and crackers.

Last summer a friend posted on Facebook the bones of a recipe for a corn and blueberry salad.  Blueberries and corn are two of Steven's favorite foods, so of course I had to try it right away.  This salad screams summer with the sweetness of the blueberries and corn, refreshing cucumber, and spicy jalapeno.  I like to buy really fresh super sweet corn from a farm stand if I can find it, then I don't even have to cook it before cutting it off the cob.  Remove the seeds and membranes from the jalapeno to temper the heat, or substitute green or red bell pepper if you're really sensitive to spicy food.

Corn & Blueberry Salad

-1 pint fresh blueberries
-5 ears sweet corn, kernals cut from cob*
-1 large cucumber, peeled if desired, diced
-1 medium red onion, chopped
-2 jalapeno peppers, finely chopped
-1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
-3 tablespoons olive oil
-5-6 tablespoons fresh lime juice
-1 tablespoon honey
-zest of two limes
-2 teaspoons ground cumin
-Salt & pepper

Combine blueberries, corn, cucumber, onion, jalapeno, and basil in a large bowl.  In a medium bowl, whisk together the oil, lime, honey, zest and cumin.  Season with salt and pepper.  Toss dressing with corn mixture and serve.

*If desired, cook the ears of corn in a boiling pot of water for 3-4 minutes before cutting from the cob.

Speaking of corn, here is what I expect to recieve in my CSA bag this Friday:

-1 package Mild Italian Sausage
-1.5 lbs Apricots
-1.5 lbs Red Haven Peaches
-1 dozen Pasture-Raised Chicken Eggs
-6 ears Mira 301 Super Sweet Corn
-1 Candy Onion
-1 head Leaf Lettuce
-1 lb Green Beans
-1 bunch Kale, either Curly or Black
-1 lb Roasted Red Pepper linguini
-1 Leek
-1 bunch Carrots
-2-3 medium-hot Block Peppers
-1.5 lbs red slicing tomatoes

I'll be working on my meal plan tomorrow and will get some ideas posted by the weekend.  I'm open to suggestions, so feel free to post your ideas. Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment